Wednesday, June 17, 2015

God's Strength

Have you ever bitten off more than you can chew?  I think I never learned the art of taking small bites.  I always seem to get myself into situations where I am committed to finishing too many projects at once, attempting to conquer the world (all by myself).

My mom says that when I was little, I would always say, "I do BY MYSELF!"  She says she tried to help me, but I would insist on doing everything my own way--and without help.

Yesterday, I had a wonderful conversation with a friend about this very topic.  She lives in a part of the United States where farming is prevalent and people are extremely self-sufficient.  They work hard, and they may trust God in some ways, but their motto is to do everything on their own and then ask God for help in case of emergencies.

Is that really what God wants?  Does God help those who help themselves (a phrase that is not scriptural)?  Does God want us to do our best and then He fills in the gaps where we are simply not able to be all self-sufficient?

Is this the gospel found in the Bible?

Lately, I have been planning a big reunion for people in my hometown.  I do not live in my hometown anymore, but I have desperately wanted to bring back "the good ole days" and get friends together for a reunion.  My heart's intentions are very good.  I want to see people reconnect and have a wonderful time, getting to know the people as they are today, not as they once were in high school.  Maybe it will happen that way...

I volunteered to coordinate this event while trying to finish my master's degree program in counseling (at the same time my husband is attending college), while we both work, and we are raising three very rambunctious children.

When I told my parents I was planning this reunion, they had some concerns.  They asked me if I could really handle taking on another project right now.  In my classic style, I told my mom, "I can do this all by myself.  It will all work out--somehow."

I have a persevering spirit.  I am one to look at a mountain and just tell it to move.  God has given me a gift of faith, and faith tells me that I can do anything, and with God--all things are possible!  All things are not EASY, but they certainly are possible (in my mind). I have always been one to jump in the fire and not think everything through in the beginning.

What does God think about my nature?  Is it a comical show that He watches from heaven--watching me try to dig out of endless holes that I have created?

I am sure that God laughs at me sometimes.

God allows me to attempt something in my own strength, and then when I become exhausted and frustrated, I can hear Him ask me, "Sarah, are you ready for Me to take over yet?  Can I help you and just do it through you?"

By then, I am worn out from trying.  Ok...God.  Do it through me.

Why do I not learn that God wants me to come to Him first and foremost?  The statement that God helps those who help themselves is completely wrong!  God helps those who come to Him and rely completely on His strength and GRACE working through them.  It's not about showing what we are able to do in this world by our own strength, but we are vessels to show off the strength and glory of God and all that He is able to do in the world THROUGH US!   It's all about Him...not about us.

I think God laughs a little when we try too hard, but He loves us very much.  He is always there to give us grace and pick up the pieces and accomplish His will through us...but we must be willing to relinquish control over the situations that we face.  That's the hardest part for humans.  We can't stand to think we are not in control.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NASB)

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Psalm 18:31-35 (NASB)

For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God, The God who girds me with strength And makes my way blameless? He makes my feet like hinds' feet, And sets me upon my high places. He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, And Your right hand upholds me; And Your gentleness makes me great.

No comments:

Post a Comment